The way the DTC processes expense claims has changed.
From August 2015, RTSG claims are being paid by the Accounts Payable section in Finance and Business Affairs at UCL and the paperwork required for them has changed slightly.
This information is relevant to Bloomsbury DTC students who started their studies from 2013 onwards and DTC students based at UCL IOE who started their studies from 2011 onwards. Previous cohorts (2011 and 2012) from Birkbeck, LSHTM and SOAS who claim RTSG via their departments or faculties should continue to do so.
Research Training Support Grant (RTSG) claims
The ESRC makes a limited amount of funding available to DTCs to pay expenses which directly support student research.
Examples of reasonable expenses include:
- UK fieldwork expenses
- UK, EU and overseas conferences and summer schools
- Language training courses usually undertaken in the UK prior to an overseas fieldwork trip
- Reimbursement of interpreters, guides and assistants
- Survey costs (eg printing, stationery and telephone calls)
- Purchase of small items of equipment (eg cameras, tape recorders, film and cassettes)
- Gifts for local informants
- Books and other reading material not available through libraries.
This list is not exhaustive; if you are unsure whether you may claim for a particular item, please contact Alison Freeman, DTC Manager (A.Freeman@ioe.ac.uk) in the first instance.
1. Claims from the RTSG must be made using the Expense Payment Form . Please ensure you have contacted the DTC Manager with details of your proposed expenditure before purchasing items.
2. You may make as many claims during your period of funded study as appropriate; all eligible claims will be considered on a first-come, first-served basis.
3. Your signed form should be submitted by email to Alison Freeman, DTC Manager: A.Freeman@ioe.ac.uk. If you are making your first claim under the new system, you will need to complete the bank details form, so that payment can be made by BACS. Please sign the form by hand, scan it and then email it along with your claim to Alison.